Ben has been an attorney at IRAC since 2013. He specializes in cases before the Board of Immigration Appeals and federal appellate courts, and is the author of the Index of Unpublished Decisions of the Board of Immigration Appeals.
Ben received his J.D. cum laude from Georgetown Law in 2010, where he was an editor of the Georgetown Immigration Law Journal. He previously worked at the American Immigration Council, where he authored practice advisories for immigration lawyers and amicus briefs for federal appellate courts. Ben worked as a reporter before and during law school, and has written for the Associated Press, SCOTUSblog, and The Wall Street Journal.
Ben was the recipient of the 2017 Joseph Minsky Award from the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) for outstanding contributions made as a young lawyer in the field of immigration and nationality law.
Click here to email Ben.
Ben is a member of the Bar of the State of California and is registered to practice before the Executive Office for Immigration Review. He is admitted in the U.S. Supreme Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First, Second, Third, Fourth, Sixth, Ninth, Tenth, and Eleventh Circuits.
Circuit Court Victories
- Hanif v. Att’y Gen., 694 F.3d 479 (3d Cir. 2012) (counsel for amicus curiae)
- Leiba v. Holder, 699 F.3d 346 (4th Cir. 2012) (counsel for amicus curiae)
- Omargharib v. Holder, 775 F.3d 192 (4th Cir. 2014) (counsel for amicus curiae)
- Larios-Reyes v. Lynch, 843 F.3d 146 (4th Cir. 2016) (counsel for petitioner)
- Upatcha v. Sessions, 849 F.3d 181 (4th Cir. 2017) (counsel for petitioner)
- Romero Zambrano v. Sessions, 878 F.3d 84 (4th Cir. 2017) (counsel for petitioner)
- Jimenez-Cedillo v. Sessions, 885 F.3d 292 (4th Cir. 2018) (counsel for petitioner)
- Ramirez v. Sessions, 887 F.3d 693 (4th Cir. 2018) (counsel for petitioner)
- Zuniga Romero v. Barr, 937 F.3d 282 (4th Cir. 2019) (counsel for petitioner)
- Nunez-Vasquez v. Barr, 965 F.3d 272 (4th Cir. 2020) (counsel for petitioner)
- Chavez Gonzalez v. Garland, 16 F.4th 131 (4th Cir. 2021) (counsel for petitioner)
BIA Victories (selected)
- J-C-C-, AXXX XXX 617 (BIA Oct. 31, 2013)
- J-C-C-, AXXX XXX 617 (BIA Apr. 25, 2014)
- V-M-B-B-, AXXX XXX 723 (BIA March 27, 2015)
- W-K-H-, AXXX XXX 710 (BIA Nov. 22, 2016)
- H-M-F-, AXXX XXX 345 (BIA March 29, 2017)
- J-J-V-, AXXX XXX 994 (BIA July 18, 2017)
- J-F-E-, AXXX XXX 079 (BIA Dec. 29, 2017)
- E-D-M-, AXXX XXX 050 (BIA Jan. 2, 2018)
- A-A-B-, AXXX XXX 292 (BIA Jan. 22, 2018)
- J-L-S-R-, AXXX XXX 011 (BIA June 15, 2018)
- D-N-K-, AXXX XXX 250 (BIA Sept. 7, 2018)
- J-F-B-, AXX XXX 977 (BIA Sept. 13, 2018)
- E-R-Z-, AXXX XXX 479 (BIA Oct. 12, 2018)
- J-V-L-, AXXX XXX 646 (BIA Nov. 7, 2018)
- A-M-U-, AXXX XXX 567 (BIA Nov. 8, 2018)
- J-E-L-C-, AXXX XXX 005 (BIA March 29, 2019)
- S-S-G-W-, AXXX XXX 447 (BIA April 17, 2019)
Ben is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association and the National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild.
- Index of Unpublished Decisions of the Board of Immigration Appeals
- Article: “212(h) Waivers: An Emerging Option for LPRs Facing Removal,” AILA Immigration Practice Pointers (co-author)
- Article: “The Meaning of ‘Admission’ Under the Immigration Laws,” AILA Immigration Practice Pointers (2013-14 Edition)
- Article: “Lawful Status, Unlawful Presence, And Other Elusive Concepts That Can Affect Your Client’s Right To Remain In The United States,” AILA Immigration Practice Pointers (2011-12 Edition) (co-author)
- Article: “Motions To Suppress: Preserving The ‘Egregious’ Exception Under Lopez-Mendoza,” Immigration Practice Pointers (2011-12 Edition) (co-author)
- Op-Ed: “Why the Supreme Court ruling on immigration is a clear rebuke to Arizona,” Christian Science Montior, June 26, 2012
- Current Development, Supreme Court to Render Decision in Dada v. Mukasey, 22 Geo. Immigr. L.J. 361 (Winter, 2008)